Become a Volunteer
Thank you for considering volunteering with Heartland Animal Shelter!
To become a volunteer, please visit our Better Impact site to fill out an application: http://bttr.im/av7t1
After being accepted in the Better Impact portal, there are a few additional steps to complete before you are officially a volunteer:
- Complete eLearning module in Better Impact
- Pass the New Volunteer quiz
- Fill out waiver and code of conduct documents
All in-person orientations are unavailable until further notice and will be completed through Better Impact by completing the eLearning module.
Important note for prospective dog walkers:
Due to the high volume of individuals who are looking to walk dogs and our limited ability to keep up with demand to train each new dog walker in a timely manner, we are currently only accepting dog walkers who meet the following requirements:
- Have weekday morning or weekend evening availability
- Have experience walking and handling large dogs. Our program is currently closed for small dog walkers.
- Are able to consistently commit to a minimum of two hours per week on a shift in need
All shelter volunteers must be at least 18 years of age at this time.
Please read about all the volunteer opportunities we have available!
At this time, we aren’t taking any court-ordered community service cases.